I’ll admit it. I love strawberry rhubarb. Anything strawberry rhubarb. Pies. Jam. Compote. Ice cream. Anything strawberry rhubarb. Or possibly just rhubarb but I do like the bit of flavor the strawberries give.
So I couldn’t resist something strawberry rhubarb with the divine rhubarb stalks and quart of fresh strawberries that showed up in the Golden Earthworm CSA box this week.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cornmeal Bread
Fresh baked loaves of strawberry rhubarb cornmeal bread using strawberries, rhubarb, cornmeal and flour from the Tuv Ha’Aretz CSA in Forest Hills.
1 cup whole wheat bread flour (or half white if you don’t like a stronger wheat taste)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup sugar (I prefer the organic raw sugar)
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup chopped strawberries
1.5 cups chopped rhubarb (about three large stalks)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl; whisk. Whisk buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla in smaller bowl. Gently fold the wet and dry ingredients together (using a spatula makes this pretty simple). Then fold in strawberries and rhubarb.
3. Butter and flour two bread pans (I do this after mixing everything together so the cornmeal can soak slightly). Scrape batter into pan; spread evenly between the two pans and level off gently.
4. Bake cake until knife or toothpick poked into the center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan, about an hour.
5. Cool and enjoy! Or eat slightly warm with a little milk or coffee. Divine. Lightly sweet with a crispy crust and just a gorgeous amount of flavor.
This cake isn’t too fruit heavy so feel free to add in more of the fruit/rhubarb. I might just do that next time but you might need to add a touch more flour/cornmeal to balance it out.
By the way …. I need to give my Mom kudos for my rhubarb obsession. We had a little patch that grew each year outside of the house and I LOVED when she’d make a fresh strawberry rhubarb pie. To this day, it’s my favorite pie and the perfect slice for a birthday celebration.