Tonight it the final season premier of Game of Thrones. I’m prepared: have rewatched the entire series since January and can’t wait to find out what HBO has in store.
To celebrate the final season, here are some cardamom shortbread cookies stamped with the sigils of houses Targaryen and Stark. If you’re using the cookie stamps (I purchased mine here from Target), be sure to generously flour them between pressings because the dough will get stuck. The dragon sigil is particularly challenging to work with as the details are very fine and basically didn’t work well with this mix and I had to try several times for each Targaryen press but the idea is there.
Stamped Cardamom Shortbread Cookies
Game of Thrones inspired cardamom shortbread cookies - a warming spice because the night is dark and full of terrors.
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (cut into chunks)
- 1tsp – 1 tbsp ground cardamom (depending on how much cardamom you like)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with either a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse together the butter, brown sugar salt and cardamom until well mixed. Pulse in the flour 1/2 cup at a time until well mixed. If the mixture is a little dry/crumbly, add in water, 1 tbsp at a time until the dough mostly comes together in a ball.
- Roll the dough into about 1-inch balls and press each ball with a well floured cookie stamp. If the dough gets stuck, re-roll into a ball, flour the stamp a couple of times, knock off the excess flour and try again.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden brown on the bottom. Cool on racks and enjoy!
Makes about 36 cookies.
Inspiration: Sweet Paul recipe.